More bad advice I've received and disregarded...
2) Don't let your kids have pacifiers. It will screw up their teeth and besides that they will never be able to break away from them, and may even start kindergarten with one.
3) Be sure to keep everything strictly in the boundaries/boxes of: God/Family/Work/Church/Everything else, and in that order, regardless of what may be happening at the time. Even if someone in the church is in a head on collision and is instantly killed, stay at your kid's birthday party to prove a point - your family comes first! After all, the person's dead anyway, so what can you do about it? Your kid will always remember the birthday you stayed despite the tragedy. [Sigh] On the other hand I've also received the terrible advice...if you're at your kid's school concert and Sister McGillicutty calls your cell phone to ask about something that is a non-emergency like Sunday School curriculum, answer the phone no matter what when you see that it's her on the caller ID, because she's an influential person
4) Children are meant to be seen and not heard.
5) Your husband is to lead you in your relationship with Christ and you are to look to him as your prophet, priest and king.
6) It's important to have your children potty trained by the time they are two years old.
7) If you tell your church people you have been to counseling they will never again respect you.
8) Don't ever share your struggles in the pulpit unless you have achieved complete victory over them.
9) Don't have the church people in your home. That is your refuge and must be protected, and besides that, familarity breeds contempt and it will give them even more to criticize you for.
10) The longer you are in ministry the less pleasure you can have.
11) If you are going to be a successful minister's wife you are going to have to suppress yourself.
12) Don't spank your children. It will harm their self esteem. (I'm talking discipline administered in an appropriate manner that gets a message across but does not harm the child -- NOT abuse.)
13) Sex is mostly about meeting your husband's needs, and as long as you keep him happy and meet his needs everything in your marriage will be fine.
14) Don't dance. It's worldly.
15) Don't pierce your ears.
16) Don't wear make up.
17) Don't wear pants in the sanctuary.
18) If you don't get up at the crack of dawn every morning to meet with God you will never be spiritual/a woman of God/achieve your destiny.
19) Don't talk about sex publicly. It will greatly limit your ministry, not to mention it's inappropriate. (
20) Don't go to the movies. It's worldly. (Reality check: I live in the world. Yes the Bible says be in it but not of it, but the fact is there are a whole lot of things in the world.
I've received a heck of a lot of bad advice over the years but these are just some of the first that come to mind. What about you?