The following are some tried and true strategies to get close and stay close as a married couple.
1) Have at least one meal a day together. Not rushed. Not in the car, or out of a bag. Sit down and look into one another's eyes and take your time eating and talking about the day to come, or the day you just had.
2) Touch. Not just sexual, but everyday, all-the-time touch. Hold hands. Snuggle if you're watching TV. Gently rub your mate's shoulders when you walk up and ask them how their day was. The photo above is one of my favorites. It's Larry and I this past summer, floating down Rainbow River. We like to hold hands even when we're tubing. :)
3) Talk daily about low points and high points. At the end of every day, ask them: what was the highlight of this day for you? What was the low point of this day for you?
4) Stay close to God. The closer you get to God the closer you'll get to each other. Christian marriage is like a triangle with God at the top and each marriage partner on the bottom at either side. As both of you move closer to God, you also move closer to each other. Awesome how that happens!
5) Focus on little things. Some tell you to not concentrate on the small things but in my experience when the small things are positive, it's very important. When you're at the store and you go through the check out line, pick up your spouse's favorite kind of gum or mints. Buy a copy of their favorite magazine and place it their carry on bag for a trip.When Larry and I travel somewhere I usually start preparing a stash of his favorite things to surprise him with once we get there.
6) Talk about their strengths to someone else where they can overhear you. They'll love this. You will absolutely not believe the turnaround this can bring in a marriage.
7) Don't keep secrets. Secrets are horrible for marriages and for families in general.