Before you ask me, stop and think...
"Pastor, in my interview, I gave them your name as one of my references to call...is that okay?"
"Pastor, I was wondering if you could recommend my business to others..."
I have heard this countless times from people in 23 years of pastoring and I think people should know before they do that, they need to consider --
- Have they shown integrity in personal matters?
- Have they shown integrity in church matters?
- Have they been faithful in their attendance?
- If they are a ministry leader have they been faithful and completed their ministry assignments on time and with excellence?
- If I do know their work habits or history as far as their job goes, is it also favorable?
Yes, your pastor loves you.
The fact that they love you is not incompatible with the fact that they don't want to lie.