That has happened to me quite a bit and I thought I'd ask my blog readers if it happens to you too.
I’m talking about things you eat at home, not going out to eat. And I’m talking about things your whole family likes. It’s totally understandable why you don’t make something all the time or more often if your family doesn’t like it. Here’s some things we eat on occasion and usually while we are eating and everyone’s raving about it, I’m thinking, “why don’t I fix this more often?”
1) Turkey and dressing - every Thanksgiving I say, “why don’t I make this more?” No, not the entire sha-bang – that would kind of minimize Thanksgiving if we had the whole meal during the year at another time but I am talking just cooking a turkey. I never cook a turkey except on Thanksgiving. And I always wonder, “why?” because we all love turkey.
2) Ham – ditto with Christmas and Easter. Of course I don’t want to replicate Christmas or Easter dinner during the year (it would probably put me in the hospital with exhaustion!) but our ham recipe is absolutely heavenly too. So why don’t we eat it more?
3) Barbeque – We’re c-r-a-z-y about BBQ. We have it when we go out and one of our fav places is Sonny’s or a local jaunt that’s fabulous called Hungry Harry’s, but I rarely make it at home and I always tell myself I am going to make it more in all it’s various forms but I usually don’t.
4) Chili dogs with cheese – One day Cathy (my assistant) mentioned to me that her family eats this all the time for dinner and it’s one of their favorite quick and easy things to fix. It's so simple - you just boil hotdogs, open up a can of hormel chili (I use the kind without beans when we do them this way) and put some shredded cheddar on top. It takes less than 10 minutes to make this. I realized all my family loves it too so I did make it the week she mentioned it to rave reviews, but haven’t made it since.
5) Breakfast for dinner – all of my family loves breakfast of every kind – eggs, toast, pancakes, waffles, biscuits and gravy, you name it we love it. And we’ll order it at night at Perkins or Cracker Barrel. But we never think about it at home.
These are just a few…there are more but I just can’t remember them right now. What are some things your family loves but you just never think to make at home?